Thursday, January 16, 2014

Oscar nominations 2014 announced




Twelve years ago, I started this blog to celebrate some of the brilliant films from 2012.  From independent films like Beasts of the Southern Wild to Silver Linings Playbook, to more mainstream successes like Django Unchained and Les Miserables – I thought that it had been a great year for American films.  I didn’t want to go back and review older films, only to look forwards to 2013.

Much to everyone’s delight, this last year has been widely accepted to have been even better for cinema…  I have already written about my ten favourite mainstream films, but today is the day where Hollywood insiders announce their nominations for the most prestigious awards ceremony of the year – the Oscars.

 Below is a list of the nominations for the big categories:

Best film






Nebraska

Philomena



Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role

Christian Bale – American Hustle

Bruce Dern – Nebraska

Leonardo DiCaprio – TheWolf Of Wall Street

Chiwetel Ejiofor – 12 Years A Slave

Matthew McConaughey – Dallas Buyers Club

Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role

Amy Adams – American Hustle

Cate Blanchett – Blue Jasmine

Sandra Bullock – Gravity

Judi Dench – Philomena

Meryl Streep – August:Osage County

Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role

Barkhad Abdi – CaptainPhilips

Bradley Cooper – American Hustle

Michael Fassbender – 12 Years A Slave

Jonah Hill – TheWolf Of Wall Street

Jared Leto – DallasBuyers Club

Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role

Sally Hawkins – Blue Jasmine

Jennifer Lawrence – AmericanHustle

Lupita Nyong’o – 12Years A Slave

Julia Roberts – August:Osage County

June Squibb – Nebraska

Best Documentary





20 Feet From Stardom


Best Foreign Language Film

The Broken Circle Breakdown - Belgium

The Great Beauty - Italy

The Hunt - Denmark

The Missing Picture - Cambodia

Omar - Palestine

Adapted Screenplay

Before Midnight


Philomena



Original Screenplay


Blue Jasmine



Nebraska

As usual there are a number of films that dominated a number of categories, but it is undoubtedly a strong shortlist across the board.  By my count I make it 10 nominations each for Gravity and American Hustle and 9 for 12 Years a slave.

I will return with some predictions in a few weeks once I have seen the remaining big films to be released in the UK… watch this space.



For the full list of nominations check here

No comments:

Post a Comment